We are a non-denominational group for both men and women in various stages of separation and divorce. The group is based on the principles of the Twelve Steps successfully used by Alcoholics Anonymous and asks members to place their faith in God and improve themselves rather than dwell in the fears and problems caused by separation or divorce.
In following the Twelve Steps, members experience improvements in their own strength and peace of mind and in their relationships with those close to them.
The group was formed in response to a perceived need for spiritual healing on the part of separated and divorced members of our community. Too often men and women, in addition to the pain and fears of divorce, come out angry and resentful. We seek to help that person heal while offering support during difficult times.
Contact the Parish Office for more information.
God, grant me the
SERENITY to accept the things I cannot change,
COURAGE to change the things I can, and
WISDOM to know the difference.
Basing our principle on the Twelve Steps, we come to realize that we can control nobody but ourselves, and the the only way to see our way through to a brighter day is to learn to trust in God's will for us, becoming stonger by becoming better people ourselves. Realizing that there are many things over which we have no control helps us to focus upon ourselves and our own spiritual growth. Often in much anger, fear and pain, we come to believe that trust in God can restore happiness and spiritual and emotional well being. Putting our trust in God's will for us gives us the strength needed to see ourselves through the pain associated with separation, divorce, and their aftermath. Subsequent steps can be taken to better understand ourselves and to rebuild our relationships with God and with other people in our lives.
Words from Group Members
"If I could summarize in one word what this group has given me, it is LOVE. The guideposts they shared, through the Twelve Step Program, have given me the understanding I needed to accept God actively in my life. I feel the gift of peace only He can bring."
"Fortunately, I sought and found the OLW Support Group. There I found a collection of caring and sharing individuals...The Twelve Step framework of the group provides the opportunity for spiritual growth, peace, and freedom. Although not over, I feel that i have been shown a way to enhance and enrich my life, and a way to grow healthier and happier in this process of becoming the best I can be."
"We have grown here - and helped each other to grow - spiritually and emotionally. I always leave the group with more peace and strength. It helps me cope through the week a little easier. I have become more accepting and less angry."
"This group has brought about a change in my life that at one time I would not have thought possible."
The Twelve Steps
- We admitted we were powerless over anyone, that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another Human Being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve prayer and meditation to improve our concious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for the knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry it out.
- Having had a Spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
I am God's child - God created me and He loves me - I was with God before I came into being - He knew me then and He knows me now perfectly - He knows me through and through - God loves me just the way I am right now - God accepts me just the way I am - I am acceptable and loveable - I am a beautiful child of God - I have infinite worth - all of creation is not complete with out me - I have been created individually - I am unique in all ways - God created me as that unique person and He loves me - God chose me as His own - God lives in me and I live in Him - He abides in me and calls me His childe - He wants me to live fully and abundantly - He frees me and gives me joy - God gives e the gift of life through His grace alone - I accept God's love this day and know He will love me forever - I thank God for the real person I am - I thank Him for creating me and giving me life - I thank Him for truth and love and life.